Friday, November 29, 2013

Green Rice Casserole

My grandma was a cook.  No really, she worked as a cook at an elementary school for several years.  She was also very skinny, and I was always told never to trust a skinny cook but I liked her food.  I remember several meals that I considered hers, like her chicken and noodles, goulash, pigs in a blanket, and one of my holiday favorites, green rice.  I was lucky enough to get the recipe before she passed, and I have successfully made it for a few years.  I like eating it with ham and sweet potatoes.  It makes a lot, so I usually make it at Thanksgiving and freeze some for Christmas, New Years, or Easter.  Here is her recipe, and no, it is not healthy at all!

Grandma's Green Rice

Ingredients:
1 Onion
1 Pound Bacon
4 cups Instant White Rice
1 Jar Cheez Whiz
2 Cans Cream of Broccoli Soup
1 Can Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 Can Cream of Celery Soup
1 Can Vegetable Broth
2 Cups Shredded Cheese


Cook the rice and set aside.  Cook the bacon until crispy and then cut (or tear) up into bite size pieces. Cook the onion for a few minutes (I cook mine in the bacon grease).  Put everything except the shredded cheese into a big bowl and mix up real good (cooked rice, cooked bacon & onions, soups, cheez whiz and vegetable broth).



Separate it all into the pans.  I use small foil pans to freeze.  I usually add the shredded cheese right before I actually bake it.  The glass dish is what I baked yesterday and it was SO delicious.  It really makes a lot.  Bake it at 350 for 40-45 minutes, whenever the cheese on top is nice and melted.


Yes, leftovers!


No comments: