Monday, September 6, 2010

School Supplies

The best thing I bought so far was this!


These ABC foam letters were $1 at the grocery store. Originally I bought 2 packs, I later went back and bought another. We use these for all kinds of things, Summer likes to spell words, or course she really can't spell real words, but she picks up the letters and says the sounds and tries to put them together. I am amazed at how well she knows her letter sounds, almost better than she knows her letter names.

Oh and the container is a recycled salt thing, I cut the top off and tore off the label and added alphabet stickers. I needed several containers for all the letters we have so I found several things to recycle.


The green magnet box is an old panty hose box I found in my drawer. I tried to glue on some paper, not very well but at least it looks like a box. The container with numbers on the top - yup an icecream container. I am not sure how well they will hold up but time will tell and at least for now I have some organization.

Speaking of organization I finally added a shelf and turned my dining room into a functioning classroom.




At least I think it functions ok, I would love to have more storage space but I will work on that. I also added a markable calendar on the wall. I circled the weekends and those are the days that daddy is off. I added dots on the days Papa is off. I think it will help teach the days of the week.

Today is Monday but because it is Labor Day we are not having school. Since it is a short week I think I will start up tomorrow with the letter B. B is an easy letter anyway. We will continue to work on numbers this week, Summer still has issues with the numbers 6, 7 and 9 and beyond that can't really recognize much. I need to go find some fun counting songs that will help her count beyond 13. Guess I better go get busy!

No comments: