Friday, February 20, 2015

Corn Creek Oasis

There is a little oasis just north of the city across from the mountains called Corn Creek. I guess they call it a hidden gem, I don't think I would go that far but we decided to check it out and have a picnic and explore the area.

It was very dry, and a bit windy, and a lot dusty.  It was mostly dead looking and had a pond and a spring. There were 5 trails, most were easy but pretty boring. Unless you like looking at desert and dead trees, we probably didn't pick the best time of the year to visit. Then again if you wait too much longer it would probably be too hot.

Fine, I am being negative but I didn't like this place. I would probably not go back. But, at least I went once! And we did see a duck. One single duck. Maybe some birds.

This is what the web has to say about the place:

The Corn Creek Spring is the largest of 34 springs that can be found on the Refuge. Corn Creek is fed by a deep, underground aquifer. Here, water welling from deep within the earth has sustained an amazing diversity of plants and wildlife – and people – for thousands of years. Generations of people have come to Corn Creek, drawn to the beauty, tranquility, and richness of its resources. This was and still is an especially important place for the Nuwuvi (Paiute) people.

Some people think the desert is beautiful I guess :) but we did have fun, we all brought picnic food to share and had a great time visiting!










No comments: