Thursday, November 15, 2012

12 Month Well Check

Today we took Pepper to the doctor for her 12 month well check.  She is still 99% height at 31 3/4 inches.  She is 91% weight at a whopping 24 pounds, 8 1/2 ounces.  Her head was 46.4 centimeters.  It was a great visit, she is doing everything she should be plus more, like walking already and saying way more than 3 words.  In fact she says so many words already: mama, dada, papa, sissy, go, yum, yay, book, baba, milk, baby, thank you, good job.  She also waves for hi/bye, blows kisses, and gives high (and low) fives.  Pepper is still in a rear facing car seat since the new recommended time is 2 years, is already off the bottle and onto whole milk.  I did learn that she does not need to drink as much as she drank formula, instead she needs max 21 oz.  I have been pushing the milk thinking she needed it but now I will start giving her more water.

Pepper also got 4 shots today :o(  I am such a bad mom because Summer went with us specifically to see Pepper get her shots, and to take her picture while getting her shots, and instead Summer was going pee and I was so flustered that I hurried and they gave her her shots and Summer completely missed it.  I feel crappy about it but I have to go back in 3 months for another well check and to get her the chicken pox shot that they were out of so I will make sure Summer goes with me and sees it next time.

Even though she got 4 shots it wasn't nearly as bad as the other times.  Maybe because I was prepared or maybe it was because she really didn't cry nearly as long or as bad.  However 6 hours later her legs are very sore.  In fact I was changing her diaper a few minutes ago and she was laughing because they must have that funny feeling but she is also crying some when she bends down.  Poor baby, I hate this part!

We were suppose to have Pepper tested for anemia and lead poisoning and that meant having blood drawn.  I made Kris come with me today because there was no way I would be able to do that but we both decided to just skip it.  I am not normally one to go against a doctor's request but I just can't stomach the thought of putting Pepper through the pain when I don't think she has any issues with lead or being anemic.  Unless the doctor can convince me otherwise at her 15 month checkup I think I will just skip the testing and hope for the best.

1 comment:

Jennifer Barfield said...

Why do they "draw" blood. All they did for Rea was a finger prick.