Friday, May 6, 2016

Beets, the forgotten chunk of red burning love

If the title didn't get your attention, nothing will! I have this thing for beets. I don't know why. I don't love beets. They don't make me crazy. But I like them and I don't feel like I eat them enough. Plus who doesn't like changing the toilet water color? Right?!? So after I posted s recipe on Facebook for some roasted beets, three different people told me how much they enjoyed the beets that way.  I felt like I should try to make beets again in a different way.

Let's be honest, Las Vegas gets hot, and you don't want to use your oven in the warmer weather unless you have to, so I figured I would try to find a recipe I could make on the stove. I also wanted to try to make a recipe using leeks. Why? Because, who eats leeks? What are leeks anyway? They just look like big overgrown green onions right? I figured it wouldn't hurt to try to cook beets and leeks together for a few reasons, mostly because they sound alike, but also because it seemed like a good match. Guess what? It was a good match!

We all liked it. I sat some in front of my husband and walked away wondering if he would eat it. A few seconds later, seconds ... not minutes. Ok maybe a minute, he walked out carrying the bowl. Ah, he didn't like it, at least that's what I thought. Nope, he loved it! He ate it all and he went back to get more. There was no more :( He said it tasted like potatoes and onions.

If you are in the mood to try something new and you want to give beets another change, I suggest frying them in a pan with some olive oil, salt, and I added season salt. SO GOOD! Check out the recipe video I made with my youngest. I said pee!

Beets & Leeks
I also make radishes the same way, you can check out my video recipe for radishes here! And feel free to check out all my other videos :)


No comments: