Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Letter B

B Videos (Three we watched off youtube)

B worksheets - several random worksheets that trace the letter and find it.

Butterfly Craft - we made a butterfly using hands for the wings, we traced them and cut them out. Ok I traced them and cut them out ...

Binocular Craft - Using two empty toilet paper rolls tape them together to make a pair of binoculars, easy enough.

Ball Game - Roll the ball back and forth saying B words. (We didn't do this but it was a good idea)

Letter B collage - I went through magazines and cut out pictures that started with B, I found a backpack, bed, boot, banana, ball, baby, baking soda, and I also cut out several upper and lower case B's. I then had Summer glue them on a piece of construction paper. Glue is a good thing.

Find B foods - we went through Summer's play kitchen and found foods that started with the letter B. For some reason I thought there would be more, we found bananas and bread. Luckily she had several different kinds of bread.

Look at Bugs through magnifying glass - we didn't get to this but we may later.

Bounce a Ball - Bounce the Ball both start with B, you could play this up I guess.

B Animal Game - we did play this, Summer loves pretending.
Fly like a Butterfly
Hop like a Bunny
Buzz like a Bee
Growl like a Bear

Find ... I had Summer find things that started with the letter B. She was actually really quick with it.
something Brown
something Big
something Below
something Bright
something Bouncy

Song. We sang this song a few times and acted it out.
Baby bunny bounces high; (Jump high.)
Baby bunny bounces low; (jump low.)
Baby bunny blinks his eyes; (Blink eyes.)
Baby Bunny waves good-bye. (Wave good-bye.) 

B was an easy letter. We didn't spend much time on it because it is already known. I wish Summer enjoyed trying to write her letters more, she really cannot write the letter B, upper or lowercase and she is a stinker about trying to write in the lines. Luckily she will write on the white board but she gets tired of it. I think once her coordination improves she will have no problems writing out her letters, at least I hope so.

We are still spending about an hour doing school in the morning. I found out today that I can come up with several learning activities to do without spending hours finding them online. We used our rubber letters to spell words, I will write the short words on the white board and Summer has to find the letters and put them in order, then sound them out. She is really good at that game. We spend a bit more time on numbers because that is a major weak area. We also worked on shapes, she has some like the circle, oval, diamond, star, triangle, octagon, but not the easy rectangle or square and not some like the pentagon and hexagon. I plan on working on those more too.

Tip of the day: I bought a word search book but I don't use it to find words, I use so Summer can find letters. How awesome is that, cheap too and Summer loves looking for those letters.

No comments: