Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Letter N and Updates

This blog isn't just about school but it I have been using it as a record of what we have done, once I get through all 26 letters I won't focus so much on it. So bear with me a little longer. Before I go into the letter N I want to update on some exciting things that happened this week!

We tried a new dance class. This class is for ages 3-4 at a real dance studio. The instructor teaches Ballet, Tap, and Jazz. The sucky thing about the class is the time, it starts at 4:30 and Summer still naps, but the awesome thing about the class was how well Summer did, she was amazing. She followed along and listened, and she really enjoyed it. I was so impressed by how well she did, we plan to sign up and go weekly.

Today I joined a gym. They have an area for children. Summer went into this area and did not cry! She was there about an hour and a half and had fun without me. This is breaking news, I am so glad she did it. I mean the area looked like it would be a lot of fun and she had her friends Christa and Jaidyn there to play with. Looks like this fat momma will be getting herself back into shape. Remember that other blog I had for a while? I am ready, I really love working out and I missed the gym, it is so nice and big and comfortable. I did a kickboxing class today and guess what, I am still alive!

Now onto the boring stuff, the letter N. Over the last two days we learned all about the letter N. How to write it, how it sounds, how it looks, how it smells, well ok not how it smells, but how to use a Nose to smell things. Here is a list of activities we did:

N Videos we watched:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC_W5HB1kdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNA5dc5rv-c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEYIlg3aTQ

For the letter N, we made a LOT of noise.  We talked about different ways to make noise 
• with our mouths... singing, 
• with our hands... clapping, 
• with our feet... stomping, 
• with musical instruments
We also went for a walk and listened to the noises we heard.  When we got back home, we brainstormed to remember what all we'd heard (trucks, dogs, wind, leaves rustling, etc).  

We made necklaces.  I had a stretchy piece of string and at first we tried to use elbow noodles. Summer managed to thread one or two but they didn't do well on the string so we ended up using pretzels instead. I used Nine pretzels because Nine starts with the letter N.

We read and learned about the Nose: http://kidshealth.org/kid/htbw/nose.html

Near - we played Near and Far. I told Summer to go Near the couch, go Near the wall, come Near me, go Far away from met, etc.

Nickel (penny - nickel) I tried to get the concept of money and how 5 pennies equal one nickel but I think it was lost. We will try money again in the future.

N was a nice easy number. I have to go find some activities for tomorrow, once I decide on a letter.

No comments: