Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Brown, Tan, Peach and White

Yesterday I was driving Summer to choir and we started discussing kids in her class.  I was asking her about this one cute little boy and started to describe him as black with an afro, but quickly realized she doesn't use "black" to describe people and doesn't know what an afro is, so it became the brown boy with the the sorta poofy hair haha.  She thought I meant some boy with a very hispanic name that I would assume would be hispanic and I asked her what color he was and she said tan.  I then asked her what color she is and she said tan.  She mentioned a few peach people in her class and one person was white, which also means peach.  Apparently people are either brown, tan, or peach, and Summer is tan, not peach.  I am obviously peach, but I suppose Kris and Pepper are also tan like Summer.  I just love this kid!  I am glad she is not growing up with the same discrimination that I grew up with.  Of course she will find some somewhere else, maybe same sex relationships, or maybe that will be gone and it will be something else.  For now I like how she thinks.

She and I are loving school.  She got another progress report, 5 A's and 1 B for handwriting.  We are really working on slowing down and writing neat.  She can do it if she tries but she seems to be in a hurry, something I can relate with.  I think she will get it soon enough and luckily she doesn't mind doing things over when it looks messy.

Speaking of messy - oh her poor hair :o) but the light was good so we took pictures.





No comments: