Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cabbage Potato Soup

Recipe:  Cabbage Potato Soup

1 box beef broth
1 head of green cabbage
1 sweet onion
some garlic
2 brown potatoes
turkey pastrami
salt/pepper
water


I really like cabbage and wish I had more recipes using it, but I came across this soup and thought it sounded good.  I altered the recipe A LOT, instead of chicken broth I had beef, instead of ham I had turkey pastrami, but man was it good!  Kris and I both had 2 helpings and both girls ate theirs without much pushing.  Summer really liked it too.  Here is what I did.

Sautéed the onion and the garlic, add it to the pot with the box of beef broth, the head of cabbage all cut up into somewhat bite size pieces and some hot water to cover and cook for about 30 minutes to an hour.  Then I cut two brown potatoes into bite size-ish pieces and added it to the put and cooked another 30 minutes.  Lastly I added the turkey pastrami that was leftover from the lunch meat drawer cut up into bite size pieces, along with some salt and pepper and cooked another hour or so.  Honestly I didn't really time anything.  

It was delicious!  Here is a picture of the leftovers, that was all that was left!  Kris wasn't thrilled about the amount of garlic I used so next time I will use less, but he still ate it all.

Healthy?  Kinda.  Real potatoes, cabbage, onion.  I use jarred garlic and the beef broth box wasn't low sodium, and I have no clue about the turkey pastrami - but it seemed fresh and comforting, which was perfect for our strange overcast weather today.



No comments: