Saturday, June 23, 2007

36 week appointment

So yesterday I had my 36 week appointment (even though I was only 35 weeks and 2 days). I was going to first see the anesthesiologist to review the pain options, then the OB doctor, where I would get the strep B test and see if Summer was still breach (and I knew she was).

8:00 am Anesthesiologists - The appointment went just fine, the doctor was a 28 year retired Navy guy, very nice, gave us way too much information, but I left thinking the same as when I came, I will get the epi if the pain gets too bad.

8:45 am OB Appointment - The nurse takes my weight, I weighted 163 3/4, but it was early in the day and at home I have seen 166, then we go into the room and the nurse measured my stomach, 36 weeks, and she listens to Summer's h/b, it was in the 150's, she takes my blood pressure, and this is where things get interesting - because it was 145/98. Uh ya, 145/98 is really very high! The nurse just said she will take it again later, and I honestly thought it was a mistake since I have small arms and all, and the cuff was the larger size. Then she takes a large q-tip and just swabs my butt to test me for strep b, it didn't hurt at all, and took less than 3 seconds. If I am positive, I have to take antibiotics when I deliver to protect Summer.

The OB doc comes in, Dr. Sherm, a doctor I haven't met yet, the nurse retakes the blood pressure and it is still high,! The OB doctor does an ultrasound, sees that Summer is still breach, and measures her head, body, legs, all are measuring right on. She even sees Summer breathing (she can see the lungs and ribs moving) which is really a good sign, and she measured my fluid, and those are good as well.

At this point, I am a little freaked out, I know high blood pressure isn't a good thing, and if they can't get it to go down, I could very well be induced today. Kris is with me the whole time, and I have no clue what he is thinking, but he and I are very calm.

The doctor starts to discuss breach options, the risk of turning, which is only 50% successful and the baby could turn back. Summer is basically in a C or L position, and I have never felt her turn, so I am doubt she will turn either, and of course the other option is a c-section. I have a lot to think about over the next few weeks.

Ok back to the high blood pressure, because I had high blood pressure I am going to be seen twice a week to be monitored from this point on. Remember I was still on monthly visits up to this point, so I am bummed. We now have to go up to L&D to be monitored and get blood and urine (for protien) test, and see if the blood pressure goes down.

9:30 am L&D - I get in a bed, get hooked up to monitors, the blood pressure cuff starts taking my readings every 10 minutes. It is very nice up in L&D, the nurse asked me if I had ever felt contractions and I said No. Not 5 minutes later she said, look you just had a contraction on the monitor. I did not feel that one of the next one, but the third one I felt! I have been feeling contractions, not painful or regular, but I didn't know what I was feeling, I thought it was the baby rolling all into my right side (which doesn't make sense now anyway). Basically I feel the contractions in my right side and it feels like a pressure. I always told people "ouch Summer is all in my right, she needs to move" when I was actually having a contraction! The nurse said they were normal, and at this point I was having them every 10 minutes while I was being monitored, I think I was showing off, because I normally don't have them that often. In fact, after leaving the hospital that day, I maybe had 1 or 2 more.

At 11:30 I am still in L&D - My blood pressure goes way down, 118/70. I have no clue why it was ever up so high, seems like such a fluke. They stop monitoring me (during the hour monitor Summer did great). We move into another room and wait for the doctor to come go over the blood and urine test, which both came back fine. Now, I have to collect my urine for 24 hours (in a hat thing - which is so much easier than a cup haha), starting Saturday morning through Sunday morning, and on Sunday, I have to bring it back and get monitored again. Then I have to go in for monitoring every Tuesday and Friday for 20-40 minutes until I deliver. Next Friday they will do another ultrasound to see how Summer is doing.

At 12:15 we finally leave - remember, I was the pregnant lady without any problems, smooth sailing, everything perfect, by the book, and now look what happened! Kris and I went home, changed clothes, then headed to Olive Garden for some much needed lunch.

While Kris and I were waiting in the L&D room, we talked about how the car seat hasn't arrived yet. At one point I almost panicked because I didn't realize it had turned into Summer yet (June 21st) but it had. I have reached my goal! I go back to work Monday, I still feel fine, just a little shaken up about everything. Oh an my left leg is still swelling up ... and looks so annoying :o)

No comments: