Sunday, February 28, 2010

Gilcrease Nature Sanctuary

One boring morning I decided to do something different, something outside because the weather was just right and something with animals and birds because they can make a boring day turn into an interesting one, so we loaded up in the car and headed to the Gilcrease Nature Sanctuary.

The Gilcrease Nature Sanctuary is about 15 minutes north of us. They have a big piece of land that they turned into a nice home for birds and other animals. Papa came with us and Rachel and Carissa met us there. We started looking around and saw birds. A lot of birds. All kinds of birds. I didn't get any pictures of the birds because the birds were all behind mesh wire so I never had a very clear shot, but trust me this place had a ton of birds.

Oh - actually I did get a picture of a bird, I forgot about this bird!


They had other animals too, like the goats, which were my favorite part. Summer, however, did not like the goats at all. We were allowed in the pen with the goats and I would guess there had around 10 or 15 goats. These goats were very friendly and maybe a bit intimidating to Summer, but there were some babies and they were cute and so soft!


They also had donkeys and those large donkey looking creatures that spit, I forgot the name but we never got spit on anyway so - who cares about them. One of the donkey's had just had a baby the day before, it was cute, being pushed around by the mom who I guess was trying to get it to keep walking for practice.


Right next to the donkey cage was the emu cage, you know those really large birds that don't fly? Guess what, if they bite you, you won't bleed, ask Summer, she would know. She also got bit by a really big goose. It just wasn't her day I guess. Or, it was her day to get bit. Anyway, she wasn't too traumatized and we continued looking around. It was fun, a nice break from the normal boring day we could have had.

1 comment:

Jessica Roya said...

I'd love to go if you want to do it again sometime.