Monday, October 15, 2007

Nine

You would think 9 is a good number, especially when we are talking about babies and how much sleep they get, but last night was not a good night.
I went to bed late to begin with. I am usually cozy in the covers by 10, but I couldn’t sleep so I got up and fixed my computer, then I played around, and finally ended up in bed around 11. Summer ate dinner like normal, 6 ounces around 7. I think she went to bed around 8:30. She normally goes 4-6 hours between feedings at night, so I expected her to be up around 1. Kris stays up until 1, he usually waits until she feeds next, feeds her and comes to bed.
Around 4 I wake up. I never heard Summer get up to eat, but I thought I might have slept through it and Kris may have fed her. I tried to go back to sleep but kept thinking about when she ate last, if she ate. I kept counting the hours in my head over and over, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 4 = 9 hours. Surely she ate and I slept through it. About 10 minutes go by and I shake Kris and ask if she ate. He said no, she never woke up at her usual time to eat. Ok I start counting in my head again, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 4 = 9 hours. Kris also said he had just checked on her and she is sleeping. I still can’t sleep, so I reach out and grab her leg, and she moves. She is fine, but it has been over 9 hours since she ate, how is that possible? She should be starving by now! At 4:45 she finally wakes up to eat, and I am so relieved. I haven’t slept since 4, wondering when she is going to wake up. Kris gets up and gets her a bottle, I change her diaper, Kris feeds her and I try to go back to sleep. She eats another 6 ounces and goes right back to sleep. She may have slept well but I sure didn’t. She went 9 hours and 45 minutes without a bottle. If she wants to do it again tonight I guess I will be ready, the first night is always scary, just like when she went from 4 hours a night to 6 hours a night.

No comments: