Thursday, December 2, 2010

Roller Skating

Cliff (aka Papa) decided he wanted to take Summer roller skating. Cliff (aka Papa) is in his 60's but when he was young, he was a roller skating disco king, or ... whatever you call it. He could skate frontwards, backwards, sideways, he could skate. He was certain he still remembered how and could take Summer out. Summer had never been skating but was looking forward to it after watching a few videos on youtube. I wanted to go because, well, I like to skate too. Kris (aka dad) wanted to come watch.

The closest skating rink (or is it ring?) is less than 5 minutes from our house. We packed into the car and headed over after dinner - a dinner of delicious ham and beans, salad, cornbread. Dinner that Summer did not eat because she said she was not hungry.

The cost to skate, with skates, was $8. This also included 2 pieces of pizza, a drink, and 4 game tokens. Really not a bad deal. The smallest size kids shoes is 10, Summer wears a size 9 but we are buying 10 so that was good! I wear a size 9, wait, who cares about my foot! Anyway - like I said, this was Summer's first time skating. How did she do?




She LOVED every minute of it. Cliff on the other hand (aka Papa) could not skate as well as he remembered, in fact he skated just a tad bit better than Summer did. For her first round Kris (aka dad) was able to walk her around the edge. I was glad they didn't make him get off because I didn't think I could hold her up on skates and there was no way Cliff was going to be able to hold her up on his skates!

But I got better and I was able to hold her up - mostly.




And remember our delicious meal of beans & ham, salad, cornbread, the meal Summer didn't eat? After a few rounds on the floor she decided she was hungry. Of course. Luckily we had the tickets for the free pizza so it worked out nicely. We all had a nice time, we spent about an hour and a half at the ring (rink?) and I have a feeling we go back again soon.



Next time we will eat the pizza and skip the dinner at home.

No comments: