Friday, April 20, 2012

Baby Food

Pepper devouring her first pear

We have started the chubbs on baby food - sorta, I mean we have, but we are doing things so different this time. I know it is a little early, she is only 5 1/2 months but I really thought that she was ready, plus 6 months is just a guide, and I know that babies get all the nutrients they need from yhe bottle until they are a year, so we are just playing around. We started with avocado and have probably offered it 3 times but I really don't think she likes it. She does like banana. She likes pears, and she loves apples. She is not a big fan of sweet potato yet but we only tried it once. I am doing a little baby led weaning (where you don't feed the baby - you let the baby feed themselves whole food) and a little bit of mashed stuff. It is honestly kind of scary, today I gave Pepper pears with the peel on so she could hold it and not get it all mushy. She did great with it, never choked, and ate quite a bit. The purpose is not really to see how much they can eat anyway, it is more about experiencing all of the food, textures, taste, smells, but I think she likes to eat. I also take real bananas, scrape them with a spoon and feed it to her that way - so much more natural that jared food right? Here is a video I took that shows how I fed banana to Pepper yesterday morning. I guess I should start giving the whole banana to her, with some of the peel? I need to find a video showing how that works. I also made my own applesauce, I just boiled apples and mashed them with a fork. No mush, it even had a bunch of chunks but she seems to have no problem eating them, in fact she devours the apple, that is probably her favorite. I am kinda glad I didn't go and buy a magic bullet now! Carrots will be on the menu soon, boiling and mashing with a fork, followed by anything else we eat for dinner (veggies and fruits of course). I don't want to do the baby led weaning exclusively because it is so messy but I don't mind mixing the two together, and I like the idea of offering fresh veggies and fruits - with some chunks - as opposed to pureed jared stuff. It is definitely a journey for us all.

No comments: