Saturday, September 8, 2012

Stitches

I would prefer to write a post about the laughing kind of stitches but unfortunately the stitches I have to blog about are the kind that are meant to sew something back together, under a chin in fact, so here we go.

8:10 PM: Summer is taking her shower and opens the door to tell us the water was a bit too hot, slips, falls on the metal piece under the door.  We heard the fall and cry and immediately went into the bathroom (we were in the living room right outside the bedroom/bathroom).  Summer was already standing back up and was crying because she had fallen.  We asked her what she hit and she kept pointing to the bottom piece under the shower door.  We were like "NO what did you hit on your body" and she finally pointed to her chin (pointed because she was crying so hard we could not understand her).  We didn't see ANY blood or realize that she had cut herself right away, in fact she had no clue she had cut herself until we told her a few minutes later.

We got her rinsed off and out of the shower and laid her on the bathroom floor where Kris examined her cut (I was holding Pepper).  At home it really didn't look that deep and it wasn't bleeding at all so we thought we might be able to just use a bandaid to hold it back together.  I posted the picture on facebook and asked my friends and family for advice - for who was up and online anyway.


The problem was the neck is in such a stretchy part of the skin and the bandaid wasn't doing a good job keeping the cut together so we decided to go to walgreens to get some better bandaids.  I asked the pharmacist what she thought and she said it looked pretty deep and she would probably do stitches if it was her kid, so Summer and I headed the the base hospital.  

The place was PACKED.  I knew we were going to be there awhile.  2 Hour wait.  The lady checking us in looked at it and was like, hmmm, so before we even checked in the nurse looked at it and confirmed a stitch or two was needed, so we checked in and began to wait.  It was around 10:45 when we finally went back.  Summer was actually wide awake and doing very well, she was not in any pain. This picture was right when we went back.


The numbing gel burned and Summer cried :o(  By the time the doctor came to stitch her they said it had already wore off so round two of burning numbing gel, that (in my professional opinion) didn't really seem to numb it because once he started stitching it seemed like it was very painful and she cried and squeezed my hands.  Another nurse was assisting by holding her head and she had her eyes covered.  It probably only took 5 minutes but it was horrible and seemed really long, especially to poor Summer.  

Two stitches later ...


When I showed her a picture of the stitches she said it looked ridiculous and that her friends were going to make fun of her - and she was completely serious lol.  I told her they weren't going to stay in permanently, we would get them out in 5 days.  They put a bandaid on it before we left so she wouldn't rub the stitches.  By the time we left she was fine, no pain whatsoever.  

We ended up getting home around midnight.  She slept really late and today has been fine.  This morning she complained it hurt when she was eating but has since eaten several things without mentioning it.  It still sucks, no one wants to have their child go through the pain of getting stitches, or getting a cut for that matter.  I didn't even want to take her so I could spare her the pain but I guess getting the stitches was better for her, at least it will be a smaller scar.  

I hope I never have to watch either of my girls get stitches again.  Honestly I guess watching the stitching part wasn't as bad as I thought, it was kind of neat to watch how they use the tools to make a knot.  I didn't watch them actually poke the needle through her skin, that would have been too much for me.  I am just glad it is over!

No comments: