Thursday, November 14, 2013

Credit Cards

Credit Cards are great yet can be troublesome if you aren't careful.  Here are some very simple tips I have learned over the years that may help you.

1) Less is more - I have ONE Visa credit card.  If you have multiple cards try to use your lowest interest rate cards to pay off all the rest, that way you can make 1 larger payment instead of smaller payments.

2) Don't have room on your credit card - call and ask the credit card company to increase your credit line, most companies will without hesitating.

3) Don't like your interest rate, call and ask them to lower it.  I have called my credit card at least 3 times and asked for a lower interest rate.  Tell them you got an offer from another card and the rate was lower, these companies are competitive and want to keep your business!

4) Did you know that some credit card companies will give you a percentage of cash back for the purchases you spend - for free!  My card gives me 1% for all purchases, 2% for groceries, and 3% for gas - take advantage of these deals, free money back for purchases you are already making.

4a) Power Rewards - some cards have reward points, don't forget to track your point and get your gifts.

5) Having trouble paying your card on time, did you know you can ask to have a certain due date.  If the 1st isn't working for you, ask your card company to change it to the 5th to give you more time to make your payment.

6) Late fees, let's admit it - how many times have I forgotten to pay my bill, or it ended up being late.  Did you know you can call your credit card company and ask them to remove the late charge.  Don't believe me, I have called at least 3 times and they removed the late charge each time.  It doesn't hurt to ask!

7) Department Store Cards - of course I have some, I need that extra 10%, 20%, off each time I make purchases, but what I do it immediately pay the card off after I do it.  At Children's Place for example I always use my card to get an extra 15% off (or is it 10% - anyway) and then I turn around and pay off the amount I just put on my card.  If the store won't let you do that right there, make sure you pay the amount off right away.

and if you shop at Target, make sure you get a Target debit card so you can get 5% off your purchases and coffee at Starbucks in the stores!

I hope these tips help, if you have more tips let me know and if you have any questions send me a message!


No comments: