Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Working Mom

On September 30, 2009 I worked my last day, I haven't worked in over 4 years.  I never ever imagined I would be a stay at home mom, but due to the economy at the time (no jobs available) it ended up that way.  I will eventually go back to work, probably soon after Pepper goes to school, at least I think.  I can't imagine never working again, I really loved working.

What did I do?

My first job was working as a vacuum cleaner at my pop's elementary school.  He was the head custodian and I, for about a month, probably less, went to the school every afternoon and vacuumed all the classrooms.  It was boring and even though it only took 2 hours I didn't last long.  I was probably only 16.

My second job was at Crocket's, a BBQ place that I walked to and from, about 2 blocks from where I lived at the time.  It was a very dead restaurant and for some reason at the time I didn't like BBQ, nor did I like smelling of BBQ when I left each day for about 2 weeks.

I was not starting out to be a very good employee only lasting a few weeks lol.

Right after high school I went to work at Salas Mexican restaurant as a hostess.  I did that for a few months, and finally transitioned to a waitress where I was horrible.  I remember I carried the trays with my arms fully around it, I had no balance.  One time I also spilled an entire container of Italian dressing in the kitchen, can you imagine how hard that was to clean?  While working there I also never tried guacamole because I just assumed it was gross, I love guacamole!  I was young.  While I was waitressing I served a customer who offered me an office job at an asphalt company.

Jenkins Construction was my next job, I sat in an office, worked on a type writer? and weighed trucks carrying asphalt.  There really wasn't much for me to do and I lasted a few months before they laid me off.

My first real job that actually lasted longer than a few months was at an Apartment Complex, I was a Leasing Agent.  I was good at that job.  I think I worked there about a year.  I probably would have stayed there longer had the manager not been strange, and of course I wanted more money.

I left to become an Office Manager with Pinkerton, a company that provided security officers.  I was with that company for over 7 years, the company later became Securitas and during my time I was a Scheduling Manager, Human Resource Manager, and left as an Assistant Branch Manager.  I left because I hated the Area Vice President (he was a dork) and I needed a change.

After that I found a job in a mortuary.  Yes I worked at Bunkers Mortuary.  I loved it, I did accounts receivable, created memorial folders, typed death certificates, and helped out wherever else I could.  It was a great job, unfortunately it was too slow and most of the time I was bored and tried to invent work.  In fact when I started they had a front desk lady, she was let go and I just said I would do both jobs but I still wasn't busy enough.  I stayed there three months and I learned a lot about death, saw a lot of dead bodies, and even saw an autopsy.  I contemplated becoming a funeral director but didn't like the idea of working weekends.

I left the mortuary to go with numbers, Terra West Property Management handled several home owner associations and I became one of the girls that balanced the budget each month.  It was extremely boring and after 9 months I realized that I needed people interaction.

My next job, and last, was with a private company that was responsible for taking care of a billionaires family.  Only in Las Vegas right?  I was hired to be a security researcher, later moved into the assistant to the billionaire wife position and because I had extra time I ended up being the company IT person.  This was a very interesting job, I stayed 5 years and only left because the company relocated.  I never thought I would meet a billionaire much less work for one.  I never thought I would get to fly in a private jet or stay in fancy hotels and eat crazy meals.  It was fun, stressful, but taught me a lot.  I was humbled by how the family lived, and I got a new appreciation for money after working there.

And now I stay home, keep my house clean and take care of my daughters.  I did play around with the idea of a photography business two years ago and ended up making money but I had so much trouble asking people for money that it didn't work out for long.

I wonder what my next job will be?

No comments: