Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Jazz Class

Summer has been in a dance class since she was 15 months old.  First it was a mommy and me class.  She was young but picked it up really fast.  The teacher was only there a short time and after she quit the owner of the dance studio was trying to find a new teacher -  I asked if I could do it.  I had never taught a dance class but figured it was easy enough teaching toddlers right?  I taught there for about 6 months and after not really having enough students we stopped and took a short break.  Not long after we somehow became involved with Olive Crest and I volunteered to teach a dance class for younger kids there.  I did that for about a year until I became pregnant with Pepper.  By that time Summer was almost 3 1/2 and was old enough to go into a real ballet class without me and she has been going ever since.  I think she has been in about 8 performances and will be in another this June.

Does she like dance?  Yes, I think she enjoys it, especially the jazz class she is currently taking.
Is she really into it?  Uh no, she does not pay attention very well and is easily distracted by all the other girls.
Will I keep her in it?  I will let her decide, if she ever asks to quit we will stop and if I see she is just not doing a great job we will try something else.

She currently goes to Bunker Dance and I really like the studio.  They are a very mature studio (20 years) and the teachers are good at teaching dance.  They are organized and do a great job communicating, which can't be easy with such a big studio - but it is working.

Last night was the "open house" and Summer was able to show off some of her moves.  Of course I took a bunch of pictures and a video.  The girls were suppose to wear Christmas colors, something Summer forgot to mention :o/ but it was still cute and nice watching her "perform" for me.










No comments: