Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Poison Control was BUSY!

Last night was one of those nights you want to forget.

First I was giving Summer a bath and taking off her shirt, a new shirt she had not worn, well that bitch was frickin insanely tight, I almost took her head off, and of course she wasn't happy about it, so I asked my husband how the heck he got that shirt over her head, and he said "you saw the buttons on the back right" - nope I didn't even look - stupid me, and there were 3 buttons, I don't know how I got that shirt off her head, but while doing it I was laughing like crazy because I kept picturing her being born, being squeezed out.

Next I was on the bed with Summer, Kris was upstairs and Summer started crying bad. I wasn't sure what happened, and then Kris starts yelling downstairs at me "what is wrong?" and I was like SHUT UP - IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WALK YOUR ASS DOWN HERE because I had no clue, so I calmed her down, I think she was chewing on her pacifier thing, and the end has the sharp metal part, she may have scraped her gums, I really dunno why she was crying, but she calmed down right away.

NEXT oh my god - It was 8:00 pm and Summer was getting sleepy, and I wanted to try to keep her up, so I walked upstairs to occupy her mind. We went into grampa's room and he showed her his galelio thermometer and some other of his things. She reached out and touched it, no biggie, then he showed her a flashlight, she held it and tried to put it in her mouth, we didn't let her.

We get downstairs and daddy was holding Summer, we went into the bedroom, probably 10-15 minutes had passed since we were upstairs. Summer stuck her hand in her mouth and made an awful face and started drooling. Kris licked her hand and said OMG her hand taste awful, what did she have, so I licked her hand, then we starting licking her pajamas, her books, her toys trying to figure out what the heck was on her hand. We washed her hand with soap (twice) and could still taste this very nasty bitter taste.

Finally I told Kris to go lick the thermometer and flashlight upstairs, he did and it was the galelio thermometer. We started looking online to see what the bitter taste was. After about 10 minutes and trying to call the poison control center (and getting a busy signal) grampa comes out and said it wasn't the thermometer it was actually the glass cleaner he used on the glass of the thermometer.

So we look over the bottle, it says harmful if swallowed but has no poison information on it - odd. Another 10 minute search on the internet (and by this time Summer fell asleep) I finally get the bottle and call the number. They are of course closed but their recording has this - "if you need to speak to someone due to an ingestion emergency press 1", I press 1 and I get transfered to some poison center - finally, who looks up the information on the data sheet.

Now this is a walmart over the counter glass cleaner, normally used on car windows, etc. If you were to wash your windows you would easily get it on you and you would be breathing it in.

The guy said the data sheet said something like "should not be harmful if small amount is swallowed" and "probably not harmful if a lot is swallowed" so since all we did was taste a diluted version off glass, I figured we were ok, but sheesh what a nightmare.

I immediately start thinking about moving out into the country with no products, but then I remember the wild animals and change my mind.

To be safe I put socks over Summer's hands while she slept and checked on her during the night. This morning she, and all of us (since we licked more than she did) are fine.

1 comment:

Tiroskassie said...

I'm sorry, but I had tears rollin out my eyes at the thought of the two of you lickin your child.. can you imagine if someone walked in on that scene?