Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I am DONE!

Once again I am reminded how each pregnancy can be very different. Yesterday I had a very busy day, I ran 3 errands (bank, bank, post office) before 10, taught a toddler dance class, went to the gym and attended the zumba class, and took Summer to her dance class. On the way to her dance class I noticed my stomach getting hard over and over. I think that is what they call Braxton Hicks, which is basically a contraction that gets your body ready for the real thing eventually. They are more common in second+ pregnancies and can occur early or anytime, or not at all. I had them with Summer towards the end and never realized what they were until I was being monitored and the nurse asked if I just felt that contraction - a contraction I thought was the baby turning. Anyway as I was driving to her dance class I started having these contractions over and over, my stomach was a hard ball. I didn't think it was normal to have so many so I called the on call doctor and after about an hour I got a call back. After I told him what was going on, and by then having this hard stomach for over 2 hours, he suggested I go into Labor and Delivery to be monitored. The nice thing about being pregnant is you basically skip the emergency room and go right up without a bunch of messy paperwork. So while being monitored in Labor and Delivery I assumed the monitors were picking up these contractions only to be told after 30 minutes that nothing was showing. I was really shocked, was it just constipation? Then the nurse moved the monitor and the contractions finally showed up. They weren't that bad but enough to see on the monitors. Since they kept coming the doctor prescribed medication to stop them and came in to have a look around. *I must say the doctor remembered that I have a heart issue, or anxiety, because he prescribed the medication that would lower my blood pressure instead of giving me the one that would cause a rapid heart beat. Way to go doc!* I also gave an urine sample when I arrived, and that came back that I was only a little dehydrated so they gave me a bag of fluids. The doctor looked at my cervix (I think that is what it was) and it was all closed, he then measured my cervix (I think that's what he measured) to find it was a 4 which was really ideal and meant that these contractions were not doing anything to put me into labor. He did swab my uterus (or cervix or something) and did find I have a bacteria infection which is most likely causing my contractions so now I am on antibiotics for the next 7 days. They taste horrible by the way. I am drinking a ton of water too and not doing as much today. I think I was in Labor & Delivery for at least 3 hours, I finally got home around 11:00 pm. Overall I guess I am glad I went, I am on antibiotics, but how annoying. So far this pregnancy is just giving me so many problems, and now I am too scared to continue working out so I am going to just try to do less I guess. And where did I get this bacteria infection anyway, even though the doctor said it is very normal in pregnant women, I can't avoid it if I don't know where it came from ...

The doctor did say the baby was just barely viable, which is really scary because I don't want to deliver a baby at 23 weeks. So now I am home trying not to stress and relax, which isn't easy.

And I have yet to blog about our vacation! We went to the beach, the aquarium, the beach again, Disneyland, and you can bet I took a ton of photos, but those will have to wait until tomorrow. I guess I have been really busy and active the past week, I have done a ton of walking, and I can tell myself that I am pregnant not disabled but the truth is being pregnant makes everything so much harder.

Is it November yet?

No comments: