Monday, August 17, 2009

Our Sunday Hike

Yesterday we went on another hike at Mt. Charleston. This was a new hike, the weather was perfect, in fact it was almost cold when we got to the top of our trail. Summer fell asleep right before we arrived but woke up shortly after we started our adventure (and not in a happy mood I might add). I still haven't got the new lenses in the mail but I did use my iPhone to take some pretty decent photos. Of course this would be one of those days when Summer decided she would be good and actually smile and pose for me, of course, on a day I didn't have the good camera.






Our hike was amazing and challenging. We ended up walking over 4 miles, 6000 and something steps, to the top of a mountain edge that ended with a beautiful waterfall. We almost didn't make it because it was strenuous and we are still not in the best shape. Can you believe there is water running in mountains so close to Las Vegas? I think we were all really surprised to see water dripping from the side of a mountain and the water was really chilly too.


By the time we arrived at our final destination Summer was so dirty, she had fallen earlier all the way on her stomach but got right back up and pushed me away, however her white shirt was evident that the rocky trail she fell on was full of dirt and dust. Plus her poor little hair had seen better days and was not pulled back like I had planned. She didn't seem to mind but I know that hair had to be annoying.

We keep saying we need to get a backpack for her, carrying her most of our hikes ends up killing us, but deep down I think we both enjoy the extra challenge of hiking with and extra 30 pounds. We take turns carrying her until we can't go on any further, sometimes it may only be a few steps, some of those trails are steep and there are steps a lot of the time. Summer really seemed to enjoy this hike yesterday, she actually walked and ran a lot of the way and played with some of the rocks and sticks from the trail. She also saw a really big ant and was amused that it was trying to get her - because it was walking in her direction.

One of the new lenses should arrive today so I hope to have some time tonight to play with it, test it out, make sure it works as good as the old lens, or better. I am so excited, who would have thought a stupid lens would make a person so happy. Of course having such a cute little girl to take pictures of is even better.

No comments: