Monday, August 31, 2009

Just another weekend

This weekend was anything but normal, I got an idea in my head and it would not go away. I was on a mission this weekend and Summer was my target, or rather her diapers were in my line of fire. Several mommies I know have successfully potty trained their babies, some as young as 18 months, and if they can do it than surely I can do it too because I am super mom after all!

At first I thought we would give panties a shot. Mimi had sent several and most of them are adorable, so Friday night I put Summer in a pair of panties and told her not to pee on them. She peed on them and her bedroom floor and never batted an eyelash so on Saturday I decided the panties were too much like a diaper and we would go bare bottomed instead. Every 10 to 15 minutes I would ask Summer if she needed to go pee pee and every 10-15 minutes we would run to a toilet, sit there for a few minutes, throw a few sheets of toilet paper into the toilet and get up because we were "all done". This went on for most of the morning and after 2 hours of nothing happening I was ready to give up, Summer was not ready, this was hard, I was bored, but I kept going. Finally we had some spray, that isn't politically correct is it? Summer was standing near the coffee table and started to pee (some of it on my foot) and as soon as I noticed I told her to hold it and run to the bathroom. She did hold it, we ran to the toilet and she finished. I had the biggest success smile on my face and so did Summer. I guess a light bulb clicked because we did not have another house accident the rest of the day. I also quickly realized that Summer doesn't pee every 15 minutes like I initially thought and I eventually stopped pushing so often.

We went out of the house to visit friends around lunch time and I put a "bye bye" diaper on. As soon as we arrived at our destination we ran to their bathroom and sat on the toilet, but nothing happened. We spent 2 hours playing with our friends and tried their toilet again before we left but nothing and the diaper was wet. Summer fell asleep in the car on the way home so we used the "bye bye" diaper and called it a "nap" diaper and slept. For only an hour (I could have used another hour myself) ... but after the nap again I was ready to quit. I didn't take the diaper off right away and Summer appeared to be pooping. When I went to change her she hadn't pooped so I left the diaper off and she did have to go so we sat on the toilet (for the 100th time that day) and she successfully plopped one into the pot! YAY for not quitting, I started to think maybe she could do this after all.


We sat around the house bare bottomed, running to the toilet every so often, most times resulting in nothing but magazine reading and toilet paper ripping, but occasionally she would go and we would smile and hug. By Sunday things were off to a bad start, we went on a hike and put on the "bye bye" diaper and when we got home we were playing out back, bare bottomed, and she peed down her legs. She told me right away and we used the hose to clean up - at least it was outside. Then around lunch time we were standing inside and she peed a little again, on the floor, but we ran to the toilet where she finished. She took a 2 hour nap (lucky me) and when she woke up her diaper was dry. Again - I was ready to call it quits when she went and sat on her toilet by herself and went pee. I didn't even realize she was going until she got up and said look - to which I did and saw pee! I almost quit three times by this point and she was showing promising sings, so we stuck with it. Later in the afternoon she started crouching near the couch making her noterious poopy face so we went into the bathroom to try to go, she wasn't into sitting on the toilet but I knew she had to go and I was worried she would get constipated so I started to sing to her to keep her entertained, and by the way, the new song is "Take me out to the ballgame" she loves it. After sitting for a few minutes ...


She went. She was tired, we had just gotten up from our nap and she wasn't thrilled about sitting on the toilet but she didn't resist and once she went we both had big smiles on our face. I kept telling her over and over how proud I am of her and that she is such a big girl and she seemed to like hearing it.

The rest of the evening went fine, no more accidents and less unsuccessful trips to the toilet. I relaxed from taking her so often, I really think she understands and is letting me know when she needs to go.

Today I had to pass the toilet paper off to daddy and papa, they have accepted the responsibility to train. Papa took her to McDonalds wearing panties and she was dry during the entire trip. She has not had any accidents this morning so I feel like we are on our way. Daddy and papa did go to Best Buy and they put her in a "bye bye" diaper but I told them to try to pee when they get to the store. I don't know how dramatic diaper wearing is, I might try to get some plastic pants to use with the underwear at least for day time outings, but I feel good about the progression, a little amazed that it can even be done so early. I thought most kids were trained right before kindergarten, I never realized they could be trained so early. I realize most of the work is on my part, all we are doing is teaching Summer a new trick, and she is smart enough to learn if we stay consistent.

No comments: