Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Down with the Sickness

Get up, come on get down with the sickness...

I like that song but I don't like having sickness in my home, in my daughters, and in myself. Today I decided to take the girls to the doctor to see who was the sickest, I mean to make sure they only have a viral infection that can't be treated anyway, I mean to make sure they were ok. Summer symptoms include loss of appetite, fever, congestion, coughing, crabbiness. Pepper has the loss of appetite, congestion, and coughing. Here is how the day went.

9:00 Left the house and headed to the hospital

9:30 Checked in for Summer's 9:40 appointment

10:15 Finally saw the doctor. Summer weighs 43.something pounds. The doctor said her throat was red so she swabbed it and wanted a urine sample to rule out a UTI.

10:30 Checked in for Pepper's 10:30 appointment

10:31 Took Summer to the bathroom

11:20 Finally saw the doctor for Pepper. The doctor and nurse tried to measure her oxygen levels and since they didn't know how to do it on such small fingers and toes they got an 88. Just to be safe the doctor wanted a chest x-ray and a breathing treatment. OH and my little chunk weighed in at 14 pounds, 15 ounces. At first the nurse said 19 pounds, she read it wrong, good thing we rechecked!

12:00 Headed to the lab to drop off Summer's throat swab (to rule out strep) and have Summer pee in a cup, which was a success!

12:10 Went down to the basement to the chow hall and remembered they only take cash.

12:15 Back upstairs, grabbed food from the small shop instead, ate it outside on a bench.

12:30 Took Pepper to the radiology department for her chest xray. Realized I couldn't be in the room because I am not 100% sure I am not pregnant. I am only 99.5% sure ... but the tech held her and she did just fine, the whole procedure only took 5 minutes.

12:45 Back to the waiting area for Pepper's breathing treatment.

1:15 Finally taken to a room where she would have the breathing treatment.

1:30 Someone finally came to start the damn breathing treatment, a treatment that takes 20-30 minutes!

2:00 Treatment over, back to the doctor office to try again to get an oxygen reading.

2:30 Oxygen reading successful, numbers are normal, off to the pharmacy to get a prescription for the breathing treatment medication.

3:00 Prescription filled, off to the tricare office to change Pepper's provider to be the same as Summer's so I don't have to make 2 stupid appointments in 2 stupid clinics next time. Luckily it took 5 minutes to change.

3:30 Back home.

All in all I found out that Summer does not have strep, nor does she have a UTI (she had a small rash near her private area), Pepper is not taking breathing treatments tonight because the doctor never called about getting the machine, the nebulizer? and I don't have the results from her chest xray back saying she has pneumonia so I am assuming it was fine or hopefully someone would have called. Technically I wasted 6.5 hours to find out both my girls are still sick, but at least we got out of the house right? Yah no.

Here is Pepper waiting to see the doctor, sitting happily and patiently in her car seat.


Here is Summer, asleep, as Pepper and I wait for the breathing treatment. Summer woke up right after we finished the breathing treatment crying and coughing like crazy while the nurse was in the room trying to get another oxygen read on Pepper. Summer really doesn't like to wake up, or she doesn't wake up very well, whatever, it was annoying but she is sick so I didn't beat her like a ... wait I don't beat her anyway!

Did I mention my annoying cough, and runny nose? No, it isn't important anyway. I have realized a few things. Having a child in November is a bad idea. Before I didn't like the idea because of it being so close to the holidays, but the chances of getting sick is so high this time of year. Bad idea, have your child over the spring or summer. It is also a bad idea to have two kids, because chances are one child will cause the other to get sick, and no one wants to deal with one sick kid, much less two at the same time

In retrospect ... I should have taken more pictures today. Pepper's first doctor visit and all I got was that! That's not going to make a very interested baby book photo now is it? Let's blame the head cold on that little slip and hope it doesn't happen again. /wink

2 comments:

. said...

Sickness during holidays can ruin your holidays as well as money. If you have holiday illness insurance then you can
holiday illness compensation
from the company.

Urban Earthworm said...

Poor girls (all of you!). Flintstone has some sort of cough virus that just won't go away, thanks to his daycare. But at least he'll be super immune by the time he hits kindergarten!

Both of those pictures are super adorable. Flintstone also doesn't like waking up of late, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just cough related and not a permanant behaviour.