Friday, July 17, 2009

Second Trip to the ER

To quote the last sentence in my last blog "She will not see the doctor again until she is 3, unless she gets a cold which is a possibility but we will try to keep her healthy as best we can!" That was on Tuesday and not TWO days later we end up in the emergency room.

Around 8:15 PM, we were all in bed watching Sesame Street. Summer had her bath and was clean, sleepy, winding down, I was on my laptop and Kris was watching Sesame Street with Summer. Summer was really tired tonight, she had a busy day playing and her day had been great. While watching Sesame Street she proceeded to pick up a pillow and try to flop down on the bed with it but instead she missed the bed and hit the wall at the front of the bed. It was a pretty loud bump and she started to cry but at first I thought she was laughing. Kris grabbed her and was holding her while she calmed down and we noticed he had blood on his shirt so we both jumped up and carried her into the bathroom so we could see better. That is when we noticed she has split open her chin, thinking she must have cut through with her sharp little teeth! Kris has had to go to the ER twice and get stitches in his face and immediately said we had to take her to the ER to have stitches. When we saw the wound it was open and looked very deep and bloody. I threw on a bra and shoes and we jumped in the car by 8:19. Two minutes into the car ride the bleeding had all but stopped and I could barely even see the cut and Summer was asleep. 17 minutes later we were at the ER.




Summer continued to sleep while we checked her in.


She got a nice ER bracelet, had her oxygen and temperature checked and the nurse looked at the cut. She didn't think the doctor was going to do much for it and she was right, another hour and a half of waiting to see the doctor only to find out that neosporin would be all that she needed. It looked a lot worse when it first happened of course. We were back home and I was in bed by 11:00.

It amazes me how easy kids can get hurt, and how scary it is when they do. I love my child to pieces but that sick feeling you get when they are hurt is insane, I don't know how some people manage to function in a real crisis. I was seriously wondering if I was going to pass out or throw up as Kris was driving to the hospital. I know you just do what you have to do but wow if I react this way to a little bit of blood and a tiny little cut, can you imagine what it would be like if ... wait a minute I have a great idea, I just won't let anything like this ever happen again so i don't even have to think about it.

Anyway today she seems fine, I doubt she even remembers anything, she stopped crying right away and basically slept through the entire trip. I hope she doesn't have a scar, we are slathering her with scar cream to help keep it moist and heal better.

No comments: