Friday, August 27, 2010

The first week

We finished the first week of school. I am not sure if it was easier or harder than I thought it would be. For one we aren't doing as long, I was originally thinking 2 hours, we are lucky to get in an hour. However the amount of work we get through in one hour is a lot more than I thought, and planning for that hour takes me at least an hour. I guess I am spending about 2 hours a day on school, 1 hour of planning, usually during naps, and 1 hour of actual school.

Papa is completely on board with school. He and Summer went to a teacher's store in town and bought an alphabet wall. I like it, it will help me teach.


Summer enjoyed pointing out the letters to me, or as she likes to pretend she is teaching me. I don't mind at all :o)

Today we finished the letters W and Q. Summer no longer calls a Q a W. We started the morning by tossing some quarters. Q for quarters. Tossing quarters, not really helpful hehe, Summer didn't find it as interesting as I thought she might. Then I said a few words that started with either Q or W and had her tell me what it was. Overall she did really good with that exercise. I drilled her again with the flashcards, showing her the W and Q and had her tell me which was which, and she aced it.

Then we did some actions, I had her Walk, Walk like an elephant, Wiggle like a Worm, Wave to me, Wish upon a star, Quack like a duck, talk very Quietly, Walk very Quickly, you get the idea, actions that start with the letter W and Q. She had fun doing those.

I decided to try a story for fun, since it was Friday and all, we watched a story about meeting new people and judging them. I found it on this site, it was great the first day I watched it but this morning it was really laggy so I don't know if I will use it again. Since it was about fish I decided we would use a paper plate and make our own fish. That wasn't very hard and didn't take much time, Summer had fun for the few minutes it took her to make they eyes and decorate the body.


I am still torn on to home school or send her to school eventually, part of me realizes that I can teach her much faster at home but do I want her to learn so fast? I loved going to school, will she miss it? Does she need the stress that schools create these days? Will I enjoy spending so much time teaching her? Only time will tell but at least I will be prepared to answer before she has to actually start in two years. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jessica Roya said...

I want to home school! You have such good ideas! There are schools for homeschoolers. You know, regular get togethers for some structured lessons. This town is full of homeschoolers, you should check out some homeschool groups if you are serious. (And then let me know what you think!)