Monday, August 30, 2010

The Letter I

It was a good thing that today was Monday because Summer wanted to go to school, we almost couldn't finish our breakfast because Summer was so eager to start. Last week we finished W and Q, this week we start with the letter I. Before we actually started I had to send a birthday card to my aunt and I had Summer sign the card. I would draw the letters in the air and had her write them out on the card.


Notice her S looks more like a 2, and the U is upside down. The M has three humps instead of two. Her E was pretty awesome, the R was almost there. I was really impressed at how well she did.

During class I gave Summer 6 letters, an S, U, M, M, E, R and they were scrambled up and I had her pick the letters in order to spell her name. I wasn't sure if she could do it but she did it, it was easy, I was impressed!

We started the letter I by watching two cute videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-VNzH2-mMg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62U9lyRvxNw&feature=related

Then I got out the worksheets, letter I tracing, finding the letter I's, etc. I brought out a ruler to teach Summer what an Inch was, I didn't think she would get it but she was very good at measuring. I am not sure if she completely understood but she knew how to measure the lines in inches.

I found an online story book about ice fishing from PBS and downloaded it and read it to Summer. After we read it Summer drew a picture about the story. She drew a bunch of colorful ice cubes. Then we decided to make an igloo with ice cubes.


She told me one was a door and one was a window. We then put an ice cube in a cup and poured hot water over it and learned about ice melting and freezing. We took 2 ice cubes out front and set them on the bricks and forgot to go back later and check on them. Maybe we can go look tomorrow :o)

I took out the globe and we looked at the different islands and learned how islands are surrounded by water.

We made an ice cream cone with sprinkles. Yesterday I cut out a cone shape and 6 scoops and had Summer glue them on the paper, then I let her use glue to stick on some real sprinkles. She had fun with that exercise.


Initially I was one of those letters she had trouble with but after today I think she got it. I had her draw an upper and lower case I on the white board and she had no problem. Tomorrow I plan on working with sounds and the whole vowel idea.

We are also still working on the number 6, I keep trying to sneak that in there too.

No comments: