Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Letter W



Q? For some reason Summer called the letter W a Q. I have no idea why but those two letters confused her. We spent about two hours over the last two days learning about the letter W. Tomorrow we will spend time learning about the letter Q. Hopefully by the end of the week a W will be a W and a Q will be a Q.

This is how we learned about the letter W.

- We watched a few W videos on youtube.
- We traced and drew the letter W.
- I bought a lot of ABC stickers, I took all the W's off and Summer put them on a piece of paper.
- We got on the floor and moved like a worm - get it, (w)orm. We also colored a worm on a piece of paper.
- I cut out some pictures of things that started with the letter W, a watch, a wand, washing, from old magazines and Summer glued them on a piece of paper.
- We tried to (w)histle.
- We painted a watercolor.
- I found boxes and canned food that started with W, took them out and had Summer find the letter W on them (whipped frosting, white wine vinegar, etc).
- We tore a piece of paper into 4 long pieces and made the letter W with the scraps.
- We watched videos about whales and listened to the sounds they make underwater (science).
- We used the marker board to draw a W several times. That little w is what Summer wrote. She prefers to make them extra large so I was happy to get a small one out of her.


She knows that a W makes the wah sound and you draw it by going down up down up :o)

- She colored a watermelon the correct colors, and stayed in the lines pretty good too.
- We waved when we heard words that started with the letter W (though not very successfully).

Today I gave Summer a homework paper, a W worksheet. Is it homework if you are home schooled? Anyway she has until tomorrow to finish it. She was rather excited about it but hasn't done it yet so we will see. I am excited about tomorrow and the letter Q, I have a few ideas ...

We are also doing the number 6 this week. We did a few 6 worksheets and I bought these colorful triangle blocks. I told Summer to pick out 6 triangles. Then I had her pick out 4 red triangles and 2 blue triangles and asked her what 4 + 2 equaled. Then we did 3 yellow and 3 blue, 1 red and 5 green, you get the point. She wasn't interested in tracing the 6 so we will work on it more over the next few days.

No comments: