Monday, August 23, 2010

Time for School!

I decided to become my daughter's teacher and today was the day. We actually started a week early because she woke up an hour early so we had extra time. I was not prepared but winged it. I figured I would go over the basics and see where we were. First I had Summer say her ABC to make sure she could say them all, she did that just fine. Then I got the ABC flash cards and determined which letters (uppercase) she did not know. 20 out of 26, not bad, we have to work on W, N, V, H, G, and I. Then I had her count as high as she could, she counted 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 18 - so I had her stop and figured she is good to go through the number 13. Next I looked to see what numbers she knew and didn't know, she can't quite recognize the 6, 9, and 7 yet. We also went over the calendar a little, days of the week, months, day, etc. We talked about her address and phone number. After about an hour and having her call me teacher the entire time, her idea, not mine lol, I would say we had a successful first day of school. I can easily spend an hour if not more on it each day. We also did some drawing, she got a new crayon box and it has colored pencils so she drew me a person and a few other things. Tomorrow I am going to focus on a letter a day, starting with her trouble letters and go from there. I hope to get a bit more organized tonight, now that I know what I am in for.

I didn't take any pictures because it was very last minute and we were both still in our pajamas, maybe this week I can try to incorporate some pictures into the mix. We have a really busy week this week, we start cheerleading tomorrow and we have three more soccer classes on Wednesdays. I am also going to a ballet open house on Friday night to see how that goes. Who knew being a mom could be so busy, of course I have to work at it, but so far so good. Now I need to go get the camera out and take pictures of something, there has to be something cool around here that needs to be seen.

1 comment:

Jessica Roya said...

Take pictures of letters. I saw somewhere a blog or something where they tried to find letters in everyday objects and the kids (a little older) would take pictures. A splitting tree trunk would be a V, for example. You could do the whole alphabet!! :-)