Saturday, June 4, 2011

I actually made something!

I am a creative person, I constantly think of creative things to do or make or become. While laying in bed one night, because that seems to be where I do most of my creative thinking, you know instead of falling right asleep, I came up with the idea of making a button shirt. I thought it would be neat to make something out of buttons, some sort of design. I do not have a sewing machine nor do I really know how to sew, so buttons seemed like something I could do. I had zero materials but was determined to make this idea happen. I found a shirt at kmart for $2.50. I bought 2, a green one and a pink one. They were pretty plain. I also bought a pair of matching shorts for $2.50. I figured for that price it didn't matter if I ended up ruining them.


I bought bags of buttons for $5.99, thread for .99 cents, fabric glue for a few dollars, a pack of needles for a few bucks. Now I have a pretty neat little unorganized box full of stuff.

Oh I also bought some hair clips because I thought, you can't make a cute button outfit without making cute hair clips!

So, without further ado and a lot of button sewing by hand, I present to you my first creative piece of child clothing!



I would suggest one thing, don't sew the buttons on the back of the shorts. Now I have to clip all those off and redo it on the front of the shorts, but otherwise it turned out very unique!

I don't know yet how it will wash but I tied 6 knots in each button so I hope they stay on. I also don't know what my daughter really thinks of the insides, hopefully the knots aren't poking her, so far she hasn't said anything. Here is what that looks like.

I am so excited, I also bought a thimble but didn't end up using it, and some ribbons - I have an idea about a flag shirt and bows to match, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Rachael Magnuson said...

This is super cute Jess! Summer is an excellent model!!!!

Monique Leslie The Misfit Crafter said...

That is so cute!