Monday, July 26, 2010

Craters of the Moon

Today is our last full day of vacation and we made the most of it by heading 84 miles away to see the Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve which is a vast ocean of lava flows with scattered islands of cinder cones and sagebrush. Along the one way road to the moon we had to stop twice for road construction and wait for lead cars. I only mention this because almost everywhere we go we have had to stop and wait because lanes were closes and lead cars were busy taking cars back and forth. One lane roads are very annoying. The road here, the road to the cabin, the road in Yellowstone, the road to the Craters of the Moon ... seriously every single place we go we have encountered this construction.

Anyway back to the craters, we made it there around noon and explored. The first stop we made had a huge black mountain that Summer wanted to climb. It was REALLY windy too.


It was actually a lot steeper than it probably looks in the photos, the mountain was pretty steep. Summer was able to run some of the way but towards the top she started slipping on the little rocks.


I was out of breath but she had fun, and she even sat and posed for a picture. Next we went to another area that had a huge hole in the ground that at one time was filled with lava. Oh and by the way, the day was overcast which made for very white skies and great color photos. This picture is mom and Summer near the area where the big hole was.


Still very windy. Our last stop was along these sharp black rocks that looked like they came from outer space or something. They were pretty neat looking. Summer sat and posed for a picture. I told her to hold her hands on her hair to keep it out of her face and I got this, doesn't she look like a little model!


Pretty cute if you ask me.

I took a bunch of photos of the rocks too, it was neat looking.


After we visited the black rocks we left and hit a small town called Arco Idaho, it was about 20 miles away, and we had lunch. We ate at a place called Pickle Place. It was a very good little place to eat, we had hamburgers, milkshakes, fresh homemade strawberry shortcake. Mom and I had the crater burger and it had onions, mushrooms and black olives on it, sounds weird, but it was actually very good.


Then we came back to Idaho Falls and I went to the falls again and took some more photos of that cute couple, kids, and their parents. I am happy with the photos I took, I hope they are too. I will blog about that another day, right now I need to finish packing and get to bed, I am exhausted and we leave tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jessica Roya said...

I love those picts on the black hill... blond hair blowing in the wind...