Friday, July 23, 2010

Mosquitoes & Spiders Oh My!

I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma so I am no stranger to mosquitoes, itchy bumps were just part of life back then. Living in Las Vegas the past 10 years has spoiled me to the finer things in life, or lack of, for instance bugs, we really don't have many bugs in the hot desert we call home. Oh sure we have a few flies and we have annoying ants, occasional roach or two, some poisonous spiders, like black widows and brown recluses, but in our little house we are safe and seeing these insects are rare, well mostly.

While we were in Montana we were at a cabin that was right on the lake. The deck off the cabin hangs over the water, that is how close we were. To get to the cabin you have to take a path that is considered a road. As you can see the road is heavily overgrown with the forest that surrounds us.


The cabin is surrounded by water on three sides with that road being the only way in by foot/car. The area is not used often, therefore as you can imagine the bugs are the only full time habitats in the area. Well I guess maybe deer, bears, other things like that, but we didn't see any. Oh and bats, we saw a bat!

The cabin is closed up most of the time. Inside is nice and cozy, lots of chairs and two bedrooms with comfy beds. And spiders. While I was taking a shower last night I looked up and saw a spider on the ceiling. As I was watching that spider to make sure it didn't walk over my head I saw another spider on the ceiling near me. Then I saw another spider on the ceiling across from the shower. I am not really afraid of spiders but I didn't want one to fall on my head! They were small spiders with big fat bodies, about the size of a small bead. After I got out of my "a little faster than normal" shower I saw another spider on the ceiling over the toilet. I decided to quit looking and just finish and get out of there.

Those were not the only spiders I saw on the trip and I wasn't ever looking for spiders like I usually do. Well I usually look for spiders so I can take pictures of them! Anyway when we first arrived we saw a spider on the front porch. I was sitting in a chair on the deck, got up, saw a spider crawling around under the chair I was just in. I saw a spider silhouette in a flower I was photographing.


There were spiders pretty much everywhere, and more webs than that. The entire back deck had webs scattered here and there.


Why are people even scared of spiders, I mean they are so darn small! Most are harmless anyway. Who knows how many we swallowed while we stayed the three nights in Montana. Even with all these random spiders they were not a nuisance like the mosquitoes were. Apparently there were not enough spiders because there were way too many mosquitoes and other flying biting insects. Right now I have two itchy bumps one one each elbow and one on my lower back. There were so many mosquitoes that it was almost impossible to take photos of the flowers. Even my flower photos had mosquitoes in them!


Amazingly Summer managed to escape the wrath of the itch. She had mosquitoes on her, I was constantly spraying her with repellent and swatting them away, but she hasn't complained of any itchy bumps. At one point I was taking a photo of her, saw a mosquito land on her, I sorta freaked out and started to run towards her to swat it off, she must have seen my fear and she freaked out and crouched down and said "No No". It was really funny, she didn't know what it was but she knew it was something bad. After that I tried not to be so dramatic when I saw anything on her.

In this picture I had her sit in this boat, I was going to take a neat picture - I was going to get level with her and make it so you could see the weeds in front of her and the blue lake behind her. I took the first picture to adjust the color and as I was looking through the lens I saw a mosquito on her face. I quickly ran over to her and decided that area was not safe, we didn't try again. She did end up with a bump on her face in that spot but I never saw her scratching it.


Crap I just scratched my elbow again. How did people in the past make it, how did they survive all the spiders and mosquitoes? I consider myself less scared of insects then a lot of people I know but I was having trouble thinking about the other insects I could not see. I managed somehow and Summer was oblivious to all the 6 and 8 legged insects in our area. Even with the bugs we still had a wonderful time, it was a great experience and a lovely cabin and lake. I look forward to going again in the future.

No comments: