Saturday, July 31, 2010

Time for a Hike

I don't know why we haven't been hiking, I mean when it gets hot we tend to stay indoors and forget how cool it is at Mt. Charleston less than an hour away, so we decided to start up today with our first hike in a loooooong time. Let's face it - it kicked our butts.

We were up at 6:30 thanks to Summer, dressed, fed, ready to go by 7:45. We packed snacks, water, trail mix, covered ourselves in sunscreen and took off. The drive took almost an hour. This was a new trail. It had a lot of gravel unfortunately, I prefer hiking on dirt.

Summer was in a decent mood when we arrived.


Who am I kidding, she kept saying "I am hot" and "I am hungry" - hot because when we started it was sunny and the path was all uphill, not steep but just enough to be a pain, and hungry because she saw me make the trail mix earlier in the morning and wanted some.

Along the trail we saw hummingbirds and chipmunks. I got pictures of both but nothing to brag about.

I think Summer has been watching too much Dora, or Diego, because at one point she pulled out her sunglasses, which I think were meant to be binoculars, and started to look around for the way to go.


Little rough on the face if you ask me ...

We found a cute log, wait cute? Nice looking, cool colorful ... whatever, a log to take a picture and a video on. Check out the video, of me taking pictures of Summer :o)


Then we had enough, we found a spot to picnic. It was only around 10:10 AM but we ate our sandwich, drank our water, and Summer munched on homemade trail mix.


When I was putting up the snacks I saw my blue hat and asked Summer to wear it, she did, and I took pictures.



Overall it was a good trip, we are starting to work ourselves up to it again, it is going to take time but we have plenty of it.

No comments: