Saturday, July 10, 2010

People Photo Tips - Centering & Backgrounds

Since I pretend to be a good photographer I thought I could share some tips I have learned so that you can take good photos too. I can also show off a few photos while I am at it, huh, nice right!

The biggest difference between a snap shot and a professional photo, in my opinion, is the background. Whenever I take a photo of a person I always check my background first. I don't care how cute Summer is, if there is a car or people or something busy in the background the person looking at the photo is going to be distracted.

There are two rule or thumbs when taking people photos, first either fill up the frame with the person or if you are getting something besides the person and your background is decent, don't center the person, push them over a little (rule of thirds). It makes for a much more interesting photo.

In this photo I tried to fill up my frame with my daughter but I left some background on the side, and by moving her over a little it makes the photo more interesting, at least I think so.


I don't always follow this rule, sometimes I try to center her but for the most part I try to use the rule of thirds when I can.

Here is another photo of two people, my two favorite in fact. I wanted a picture with them and the background, the Santa Monica pier, and by scooting them over to the side you can see them and they are the most important point yet you can also see some of the interesting background.


The bad thing about the above photo is the direct sunlight when caused both people to squint. Direct sunlight is just not that good for taking photos unless you have some friends who can hold up those cool reflector thingies, yeah well I don't have those things and we were on vacation.

Papa, standing on some rocks looking out at the water and then back at me where I captured the moment. See how he isn't centered directly in the middle of the photo, just makes it much more interesting.


One thing I don't like about the above photo is the crooked horizon, I try hard to get those things straight but that actually sounds a lot easier than it is. Good thing most photo editing software has a straighten option.

One last photo I love, two cuties again, not centered, looking happy, standing in shade to help with the harsh sun, nothing distracting in the background.


So far we have covered distracting backgrounds and centering, and we touched on the sun. I will think of some more tips to pass along soon. Until then show me some photos you took, let me see what you are doing!

No comments: