Thursday, September 17, 2009

Ducks, Geese and Pigeons

A few nights ago Papa and I took Summer to the duck park. First we stopped at the grocery store to pick up bird seed, which seems to be the food of choice for these feathery animals. Once we get close enough for Summer to actually see the park she gets so excited and ready for action! These birds are amazing, they are so use to being around people and they love bird seed so much that they nicely approach and take food from your hand.


Sometimes they want the food before you are even ready to give it to them.


But Summer has been coming to this park for a year and is no longer afraid of these winged creatures, she enjoys being able to feed them and listen to them honk and squawk and flap their wings.

Sometimes we come to the park and all the ducks and geese are gone but not to worry, there will always be pigeons (nasty little flying rats if you really want my opinion!)


Going to the park and being around wild animals, well not that wild really, but animals like ducks and geese and pigeons, and even turtles, reminds me how much I miss living in a small town in the country. I grew up in a very small town and enjoyed spending time collecting all kinds of unique things, like turtles, frogs, toads, salamanders, and grasshoppers. Some days I wish we lived in the country in a little white house with a picket fence, a bird coop in the back, a horse or two in the stable, next to a pond full of fish. Oh and don't forget the garden, and the fruit trees, and the barn, why not throw a barn in for kicks. Not everyone dreams of the quiet life and to be completely honest I am not sure how I would transition moving away from the big city, but a mom can dream, and who knows, one day my dreams may come true.

In the meantime I will remain a city girl, raising a city daughter, spending time at duck parks taking pictures of my little girl - hey, get out of the way GOOSE!


Birds, I swear, if I did but I don't, stupid animal!

No comments: