Sunday, September 27, 2009

A real orchard




The weekend started out with a new adventure! A new mommy and her son met Summer and I at a local orchard close to our house. I had never been to a real orchard and neither had Summer (of course) and we learned a few things:
1) It is still really hot in Las Vegas. We were at the orchard by 9:00 and decided to walk instead of pay $3.00 to drive. Driving would have been better because it was really very hot and dry.
2) You need cash to buy food from an orchard, they do not take credit cards yet, they said they were going to try to set it up next year.
3) It is helpful to know about fruits and vegetables, I saw several things that looked edible but I did not know what they were and if they were ripe, or would ripen if picked.
4) Orchards are really large, which makes #1 that much worse.
5) I don't have any fresh fruit or vegetables to eat this week. I thought I would get them at the orchard so I didn't buy any at the grocery store and since I didn't have cash nor did I know what to pick and buy, we are eating frozen this week.
It was still an experience and I did take a few pictures, nothing to be excited about, by the time I wanted to snap a few shots I was so hot and sweaty and the sun was in the worse position, I didn't really bother.
I wish we lived close to a farmer's market, of course they pick the items for you, but I realize that it is much easier to pick items from a basket then off of the plant or tree it grew from.

No comments: