Friday, September 4, 2009

The ICE CREAM MAN!

Every once in a while a scary yellow looking truck with stickers plastered on the side and strange happy music playing makes its way down our street. To most people this would be a good thing but to me this is an annoyance because once you teach your child that this odd vehicle will stop at your house and will hand you a cold treat - they will come to expect it. So all summer long we have avoided this fact and just accepted the appearance of the ice cream truck as no more important or different than any other car or truck that goes down our street, that is until Wednesday night.

We all happened to be outside playing in the front yard when we first heard it. We all looked around wondering which direction the ice cream man would come from. Then we saw it next, and when I say it is a scary yellow truck - I mean it. What happened to the nice clean looking ice cream trucks from my childhood, or was that just my imagination and distortion from being a young child?


If you know anything about me you will know one thing - I do not carry cash. I rarely have change, so the idea of stopping the ice cream truck never crosses my mind. I am a debit card girl, and I really doubt they take debit cards. BUT Papa was outside, and if you know anything about Papa you know that all he ever has is cash, he does not have any plastic cards, so it was his decision to stop the scary yellow truck filled with horrid stickers and purchase ice cream.

Summer was of course interested in this music playing sticker infested yellow truck, she had no clue yet that ice cream was hiding somewhere inside, all she knew was that daddy and papa had approached this vehicle and something was about to happen.


Three popsicle things later and less than $4.00 spent, we were all happily sitting on the driveway with a cold fun messy treat. Papa got something with chocolate (I think - he ate it so fast), Summer got something with colors and daddy got something with gum and a lot of sourness. Summer actually ate some of all three because variety is so much fun.




It was a really nice evening doing something new and spending time together as a family. I would probably be happier if I didn't already know what is going to happen the next time Summer hears the music from the yellow ice cream truck going down our street. But if the end result is a happy baby with a little bit of ice cream in her belly (and probably some on her face) I just may have to start keeping some cash in my purse.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was such a cute story! The colors in those pictures are vibrant. I want a better camera.